Data Center Equipment Reuse and Recycling
Several market trends are driving growth and change in the design and maintenance of data centers:
- Popularity of cloud computing and server virtualization
- Green initiatives to increase data center energy efficiency
- Systematic upgrade and replacement programs for data center computer equipment and infrastructure
- Expansion of mega data centers to support growing e-commerce transactions
Corporate Data Center Relocation
Whether consolidating servers and phone support to a single on-site location, or colocating corporate IT infrastructure, companies are moving toward streamlined and updated equipment to support the day-to-day computing needs of the organization. The relocation of servers, mainframes and telephony equipment—whether on-site or off-site—results in the retirement of outdated equipment. This situation calls for a responsible reuse and recycling plan that adheres to corporate compliance protocols and assures data destruction.
Strategic Reuse and Recycling of Data Center Equipment
Sims Recycling Solutions works with companies to manage data center relocations, as well as technology maintenance, upgrades and retirements. Our systematic approach to managing end-of-life electronics offers full accountability, while ensuring business continuity, data security, and environmentally responsible reuse or recycling of retired equipment.
Sims strives to divert all retired and broken electronic equipment from landfill disposal to our recycling centers where equipment can be repurposed in the most sustainable manner. Typical repurposing of equipment includes:
- Harvesting usable spare parts from older equipment for use in upgrading or extending the life of existing equipment;
- Redeploying equipment to be used in a less demanding environment;
- Reselling or donating equipment –—repurpose equipment from a more demanding business environment to less demanding consumer environment; and
- Responsibly recycling unusable equipment to extract raw materials that can be used for new product manufacturing.
Data Center Equipment Sims Processes
- Routers and switches
- Telecommunication equipment
- Uninterruptible power supplies (UPS)
- Monitoring equipment
- HVAC equipment
- Diesel generators